Training Course Information
No Cost/Low Cost Software to Support Learners with Reading and Writing Difficulties (TS3)
What's the course about?Schools and colleges are experiencing major financial pressure and much of the software needed to help students with additional support needs to access the curriculum can be very expensive.
While we recognise that students should always be provided with the software to meet their needs, it is possible for schools and colleges to make significant savings by adopting the use of free / low cost software, rather than always choosing commercial software. There are also increasing numbers of free online resources that can be used to meet most curricular requirements.
This course will look at how to use some of these free / low cost programs using our suite of laptops and will provide opportunities to explore many of these online resources.
There will be lots of free software to take away!
What you'll learn on the courseContents will include:
• Making Microsoft Word more accessible using WordTalk, Ghotit
and AI Type;
• MyStudyBar – a free suite of programs providing comprehensive
• Can Open Office (free) replace Microsoft Office?
• Free Speech! (recognition);
• Low cost options for reading web pages;
• Online options for documents (Google Documents / Glow /
• Free online resources for the curriculum.